BATTENFELD BUYS OUT PARTNER IN IN DIAN FIRM

Comments Email Print

Germany's Battenfeld Group is boosting its presence in India's growing injection press supply market with its complete buyout of supplier Mafatlal Micro Machines Ltd.

Meinerzhagan, Germany-based Battenfeld initially took a 49 percent joint venture stake in the Indian company, then increased that to 51 percent in April 1995. Battenfeld now has purchased the remaining 49 percent from Arvind Mafatlal Group. The takeover follows the deal's final approval by Indian authorities.

According to Battenfeld, Mafatlal Micro Machines of Ahmadabad, India, successfully has built under license and marketed Japanese Niigata injection presses, with clamping forces of 30-350 tons. The firm will take the name of Battenfeld's existing local subsidiary, Battenfeld India Ltd., and will continue to supply Niigata equipment, according to Battenfeld.

Since 1992, Mafatlal Micro Machines has supplied 300 injection machines to the Indian market, said a Battenfeld spokesman.

Battenfeld India makes presses with clamping forces of 400-1,250 tons and blow molding machines for products with volumes from about 16-57 gallons.

The Indian Battenfeld unit already has a plant in Bavla, India, and its main sales and service offices are in Mumbai, Ahmadabad, New Delhi and Bangalore.

Eventually, Battenfeld plans to introduce the full range of its plastics machinery into the Indian market.

Battenfeld emphasized that it still enjoys good business relationships with Kabra Extrusionstechnik Ltd., the leading manufacturer of PVC pipe and profile extrusion systems in India. The Indian firm has operated since 1982 with a Battenfeld technology license.

Battenfeld also announced that it won orders for eight machines at last week's PlastIndia '97 trade show.

The firm sold a variety of presses, manufactured by Battenfeld India Ltd., with clamping forces of 150-850 tons.

The group received orders for four larger BA-T presses ranging from 650-850 tons, three from Indian customers and the fourth for export, according to a Battenfeld spokesman. Battenfeld also inked four orders for smaller presses with clamping forces around 150 tons, produced under license for Niigata.

Also on display at the Indian trade show was Battenfeld's CDK 500/200 injection machine, specially designed for Asian markets. The line includes the toggle version, in which the number of parts is reduced thanks to its use of cast components.