logo

Coca-Cola Foundation gives recycling bins to colleges, communities

By: Jennifer Kalish
WASTE & RECYCLING NEWS

April 26, 2013

ATLANTA -- The Coca-Cola Foundation is teaming up with Keep America Beautiful to provide over 5,000 recycling bins to colleges, K-12 schools, nonprofits and local governments across the country, according to a company news release.

Over 70 percent of the bins are designed for permanent, ongoing use in heavily-trafficked public spaces and events, while the remaining 30 percent are to be used by students in college residence halls, the report said.

"One of the main barriers to recycling is convenience. Providing a recycling bin helps communities overcome that barrier," said Matthew M. McKenna, president and CEO of Keep America Beautiful, in a statement. "We are truly grateful for Coca-Cola's support and commitment to recycling, and for its support and commitment of the Bin Grant Program."

The Bin Grant Program has placed more than 29,000 recycling bins in over 300 communities since 2007, according to the news release.

Earlier this week, the Coca-Cola Foundation and Keep America Beautiful announced they were giving single-stream bins to Chicago to help expand recycling in the city.