This week Plastics News publishes our annual ranking of the top Pipe, Profile and Tubing extruders in North American. Let's take a look at some of the numbers and trends from our respondents:
215 firms were ranked with North American extrusion sales totaling $16.202 billion, that's up more than 7 percent from last year. Average sales per firm was up 6.9 percent.
As we've reported, the building and construction market is beginning to recover. (see "Trade association reports windows continue rebound, vinyl picking up market share," for more details.)
This was apparent in several key market figures, the Vinyl Siding Institute Inc. showed a 2 percent increase in Vinyl Siding and Soffit Shipments in the U.S. for 2012. The National Association of Home Builders reported a 16 percent increase in New Privately-Owned Housing Units Starts and The Window & Door Manufacturers Association reported a 6 percent increase in overall demand of prime windows.
In our ranking, for the 110 firms that reported an increase in sales, the average growth was 18 percent with just about half being above at least 10 percent.
We have one new addition to our Top 10 companies this year. Welcome to the top of the ranking to WL Plastics Corp. of Fort Worth, Texas.
Also, we're welcoming these companies to the ranking:
- American Extruded Plastics Inc. of Greensboro, N.C.
- G&J Extrusions Inc. of Barberton, Ohio
- ITW Medical Products of Hebron, Ill.
- Northland Plastics Inc. of Sheboygan, Wis.
- Pipeline Plastics LLC of Decatur, Texas
- Reschcor Inc. of Elkhart, Ind.
- United Poly Systems LLC of Springfield, Mo.
- Vision Extrusions Ltd. of Woodbridge, Ontario
The biggest movers in the ranking this year are:
- Blue Diamond Industries LLC of Lexington, Ky.., which moved up 35 spots to ranked at No. 92
- Omega Plastics LLC of Clinton, Tenn., moved up 35 spots to ranked at No. 107
- DLH Industries Inc. of Canton, Ohio, moved up 29 spots to ranked at No. 93
- Sinclair & Rush Inc. of Arnold, Mo., moved up 25 spots to ranked at No. 133
- Queen City Plastics Inc. of Charlotte, N.C., moved up 25 spots to ranked at No. 89
- U.S. Farathane Corp. of Auburn Hills, Mich., moved up 22 spots to ranked at No. 93
- Central Plastics Inc. of McPherson, Kan., moved up 14 spots to ranked at No. 87
- MSW Canadian Plastics Inc. of Palmerston, Ontario, moved up 14 spots to ranked at No. 171
- Lite Extrusions Manufacturing Inc. of Gardena, Calif., moved up 11 spots to ranked at No. 187
- WL Plastics Corp. of Fort Worth, Texas, moved up 9 spots to ranked at No. 10
Want more information? Visit our ranking online at www.plasticsnews.com/rankings/pipe-profile-tubing
If you work for a company that is missing from the ranking, we would like to include you next time. Just send a note to Hollee Keller at email@example.com or mail your information to Plastics News, 1725 Merriman Road, Akron, Ohio 44313.
Thanks to Hollee Keller for today's peek behind the data -- and to both Lisa Pyles and Hollee Keller for their research on this year's project.
Recent Blog PostsFord's new Mustang? Yep, it's got plastic
Is ITW's industrial packaging business worth $3 billion?
Here's a peek behind the data in our 2014 ranking of North American blow molders
Plastics bring Toyota and SpongeBob together at SEMA
Hello Michigan. I'm from Ohio, but don't hold that against me...
Nearly 150,000 visitors at K 2013