The Plastics Blog
By Don Loepp | About The Plastics Blog

Hello Michigan. I'm from Ohio, but don't hold that against me...

By Don Loepp | November 4, 2013 12:54 pm ET

For the first time since 1991, I'm in a new office. And despite what you may have heard, the good folks in Michigan can be pretty friendly to a transplant from the Buckeye state.

You may remember that we had announced back in August that Plastics News was planning a move from Akron, Ohio, to a new location, in our company's headquarters office in Detroit.

The process has been gradual since then — the show dailies we did at K 2013 in Germany had to come first. But now we're past that project and starting the next phase for Plastics News.

So I'm in the 313 area code now, after spending the last 22 years in Ohio. (Does that sound like a long time? There are a few people at Plastics News who have always been quick to remind me that I'm still a "rookie," since they started with the publication in 1989.)

As we've said before, Plastics News will continue to be a weekly print publication, in addition to offering conferences as well as multiple online and data products.

I know that's important to our readers — we're in an era where people get information through a variety of media. When I go to trade shows and conferences, I talk to plenty of people who like our weekly newspaper format. I like it too.

We also update the news on our web site every business day. Both the volume and quality of our online content are tops in our market.

We also have a growing audience for the good video reports that we've been doing for a number of years now. For a taste, make sure to check out the video reports we did from K 2013. We'll be doing even more video reporting from our new home office — that may be one of the first changes that our readers will notice.

I'm looking forward to seeing more Detroit-area companies first-hand, and, of course, keeping in touch with all of our other readers from around the world.

Recent Blog Posts

How's the media treating plastics these days?   August 27, 2014 10:49 am ET
A peek behind our 2014 ranking of rotational molders   August 25, 2014 2:00 pm ET
More reshoring success stories with Wal-Mart connections   August 21, 2014 6:11 pm ET
Small country introducing plastic coins   August 20, 2014 10:48 am ET
Plastics company CEO speaks out on immigration reform   August 11, 2014 12:15 pm ET
Toyota cutting its fabled 'andon' cord   August 6, 2014 10:04 am ET

Comments

Hello Michigan. I'm from Ohio, but don't hold that against me...

By Don Loepp

Published: November 4, 2013 12:54 pm ET
Updated: November 4, 2013 1:31 pm ET

Post Your Comments

Back to story

Market Reports

Thermoformed Packaging 2014 Market Review & Outlook North America

This in-depth report analyzes economic and market trends, legislative/regulatory activity impacting supply and demand, business opportunities and threats, materials pricing, manufacturing technology, as well as growth strategies being implemented by thermoformed packaging companies.

Learn more

Pipe, Profile & Tubing Extrusion in North America 2014

U.S. demand for extruded plastics is expected to grow by 3 percent in 2014, with PVC remaining the largest segment.

Plastic pipe will post the strongest gains through 2018, continuing to take market share from competing materials in a range of markets.

Our latest market report provides in-depth analysis of current trends and their financial impact on the pipe, profile and tubing extrusion industry in North America.

Learn more

2014 Injection Molding Industry Report

GROWTH, OPPORTUNITY IN SIGHT FOR INJECTION MOLDERS IN 2014

In the wake of the economic turbulence earlier in this decade, molders today find themselves in much better shape. Molders are gaining a competitive advantage by investing in people, equipment and seeking inroads into new markets on a global scale.

Growth in the injection molding industry is going to be driven by low financing costs and a continued move to reshore some business.

Learn more