In order for companies to attract top talent and stay competitive, building a positive candidate experience has become essential and involves everything from your website, greeting, reputation and beyond.
• Appealing website and career page: Job candidates will judge your company based on the quality of your website. Visual appeal plus design and easy navigation influence a job candidate's first impression.
• Good industry reputation: Many plastic companies and other organizations consider their good name and reputation one of their most important assets. Not only does it increase corporate worth and provide an edge in a competitive market, but it also attracts top talent.
• Favorable social media presence: Social media use by companies in plastics is soaring with many actively using social media to engage passive candidates. Therefore, it's most important to monitor your social media sites and make sure anything posted is in line with your company values and mission statement.
• Interaction with company personnel: Your front-line employees will be the first to interact with job candidates as they walk through your front door. Pleasantries and greetings matter.
• Streamlined hiring process: Provide a better candidate experience by removing any unnecessary steps in your hiring process. More candidates are lost due to lag time between interviews. Candidates aren't a patient lot especially "A" players.
• Smooth on-boarding process: If you make an offer and it's accepted, helping your new hire make a smooth transition from their previous employer to your firm is vital. Proper on-boarding not only includes a warm welcome but the tools and resources necessary to be an immediate contributor.
Building a positive candidate experience will set your plastics company apart from competitors. You'll be known as an outstanding organization where people want to work.
David Peterson is managing partner at Direct Recruiters Inc. of Cleveland.