CNC-machined rotational molds growing, faster to produce

By Bill Bregar
Senior Staff Reporter

Published: June 24, 2014 3:57 pm ET
Updated: June 24, 2014 4:02 pm ET

Related to this story

Topics Molds/Tooling, Blow molds
Companies & Associations Society of Plastics Engineers (SPE)

CLEVELAND — Cast aluminum molds remain the most common type for rotational molding, but CNC-machined molds out of a block of aluminum are growing — and are faster to produce, according to industry officials at the SPE Rotational Molding Division’s TopCon 2014 here.

Diversified Molds & Castings LLC has added two CNC machines to its factory in Warrensville Heights, Ohio, CEO Vince Costello said. The company had offered machined molds in the past, but sourced them from an outside company, he said at Diversified Mold’s booth at the TopCon.

Installed in January, the CNC machines allow the company to improve delivery times, maintain control of projects in-house and control costs, Costello said.

Faster part design is important for rotational molding, which lags other plastics processes in speed to market, several speakers said at the Society of Plastics Engineers conference, held June 1-4 in Cleveland. It starts with the mold. CNC machines can run automatically using CAD drawings. Diversified Mold’s engineering department has two sets of SolidWorks 2014.

Also to help with faster delivery, Diversified Mold recently hired Jim Henry as sales and design engineer, to link sales with technical consultation on mold design. Henry has 25 years of experience in mold design, engineering supervisory experience, including 12 years in the rotomolding industry.

Diversified Mold’s new CNC machines are a Fryer MC45 metalcutting machine with an envelope of 45 inches by 25 inches by 25 inches. Costello said the company plans to install a larger machine in the next year. The other one is a CNC router, a DMS five-axis moving table unit with an envelope of 60 inches by 120 inches by 48 inches. The router will make machine models and patterns out of wood and blocks of foam.

Diversified Mold & Castings is celebrating its 75th year in business. The company was founded by Vince Costello’s grandfather, Luke Beinke, a pattern maker who started an aluminum foundry to make castings. His father, Sam Costello, ran the company from 1966 to 1996, when Vince bought it.

In other news from the Rotomolding TopCon, an executive of Nembro, Italy-based Persico SpA said CNC machines rotational molds now account for 80 percent of the 1,200 molds the company makes a year. The other 20 percent are cast aluminum. Most of the molds are used by customers to make parts for motorcycles, trucks and construction equipment, said Sergio Zilioli, key account manager for Persico North America.

Persico cut its first CNC mold in 2000. Today the company runs 20 CNC machines in-house, with access to 60 more at associated companies. CNC molds typically take three to eight weeks to make, but Zilioli said the company has reduced the time by designing and producing the frame — known as the spider in rotomolding speak — at the same time as the mold gets machined.

Cast aluminum molds have a rougher surface, and need a lot of finishing work. CNC molds, on the other hand, come out much cleaner and require less polishing, Zilioli said

Zilioli said Persico can make large CNC molds — big enough to rotomold an eight-foot-long sailboat.


Comments

CNC-machined rotational molds growing, faster to produce

By Bill Bregar
Senior Staff Reporter

Published: June 24, 2014 3:57 pm ET
Updated: June 24, 2014 4:02 pm ET

Post Your Comments


Back to story


More stories

Image

Wisconsin mold maker doubling facility size

July 16, 2014 2:05 pm ET

A Germantown, Wis. toolmaker is planning to more than double the size of its facility.    More

Market Reports

Injection Molders Market Report & Ranking 2014

This special package contains our 132-page 2014 Market Report on the Injection Molding segment and our exclusive 2014 RANKINGS database of 500+ Injection Molders for a discounted package price.

Learn more

Plastics Recycling Market Review & Outlook 2014

This special report from Plastics News examines the North American plastics recycling industry and provides insight into indicators that impact market viability, including Resin pricing trends for virgin and recycled market material and historical Resin production trends for post- consumer and industrial waste.

Learn more

Shale Gas Market - Analysis of North American Region

This report highlights the impact of shale-based natural gas on the North American plastics market and features an in-depth analysis of production trends in the United States during 2013 and a forecast for 2014 and beyond.

Learn more

Upcoming Plastics News Events

September 10, 2014 - September 12, 2014Plastics Caps & Closures 2014

February 4, 2015 - February 6, 2015Plastics News Executive Forum 2015

More Events