The Plastics Blog
By Don Loepp | About The Plastics Blog

Great idea: Family Day at the factory

| July 10, 2014 12:14 pm ET

Image By: ArburgAt the Arburg Family Day, children had the opportunity to assemble toy buggies that were molded in various colors.

I have fond memories of seeing my parents on the job. The experience gave me a different angle on their lives, and it reinforced my own attitude on the importance of work.

People who are part of a family-owned business must experience that every day. Maybe it gets old — I know from reporting on the industry for many years, there are a lot of challenges and issues when you’re working with (or for) the same people that you get together with for Thanksgiving dinner.

But I still imagine it would be cool to work with family. I’ve had a few tastes of that over the years, and I enjoyed all the experiences.

When I was in high school and college, I umpired quite a few baseball and softball games with my Dad. Just driving back and forth together was a fun bonding experience. We would talk between innings, and after the game, about the calls and the plays. Usually we’d stop for an ice cream on the way home. That was fun.

Image By: Joe WilssensHanding out Plastics News show dailies at NPE 2009.

More recently, at the 2006, 2009 and 2012 NPE shows, one or more of my daughters were part of the Plastics News show daily distribution team. You’ve probably seen their pictures in the Plastics News ads for the shows, smiling and handing out our newspapers. It was hard work, but we have great memories.

I bring this all up today because I just got a news release from Arburg GmbH & Co. KG, which recently hosted a Family Day event at its factory in Lossburg, Germany.

Some people might wonder, why would family members want to visit a factory that makes injection molding machines? But Arburg’s July 5 Family Day attracted 6,500 enthusiastic visitors, according to the company. And I’m not surprised.

First of all, I think factory tours are fun. When I lived in Milwaukee, I took my parents on the Miller Brewery tour, and I didn’t even work there! OK, I admit that may be a special case. (Get it?) But there’s something fun and memorable about seeing a big manufacturing plant in action.

Image By: ArburgAround 6,500 guests enjoyed Arburg’s Family Day on July 5.

Second, it’s cool to see where your Mom or Dad works. As a kid, you might know that your parent works at the Arburg factory. But what’s it really like? I’m sure it’s awesome.

Finally, Arburg made it about more than a factory tour. The company also set up an exhibit highlighting how it has changed in recent years, and it brought in local music and dance groups.

Add food and drink, and a children’s program (including a bouncy castle, a milking competition, a puppet show, a magician and a balloon-bending clown), and all I’m.

Arburg’s last Family Day was in 2006. That seems like a long time between events. But I suppose it’s about right given the scope of what the company offered. If a processor or smaller supplier wanted to do something less ambitious, they could easily put on an annual event.

“We really do regard ourselves as one big family,” said Arburg senior partner Eugen Hehl.

Many family-owned companies, where the owners make it a point to know everyone, feel the same way.

Recent Blog Posts

How's the media treating plastics these days?   August 27, 2014 10:49 am ET
A peek behind our 2014 ranking of rotational molders   August 25, 2014 2:00 pm ET
More reshoring success stories with Wal-Mart connections   August 21, 2014 6:11 pm ET
Small country introducing plastic coins   August 20, 2014 10:48 am ET
Plastics company CEO speaks out on immigration reform   August 11, 2014 12:15 pm ET
Toyota cutting its fabled 'andon' cord   August 6, 2014 10:04 am ET

Comments

Great idea: Family Day at the factory

Published: July 10, 2014 12:14 pm ET
Updated: July 10, 2014 12:22 pm ET

Post Your Comments

Back to story

Market Reports

Thermoformed Packaging 2014 Market Review & Outlook North America

This in-depth report analyzes economic and market trends, legislative/regulatory activity impacting supply and demand, business opportunities and threats, materials pricing, manufacturing technology, as well as growth strategies being implemented by thermoformed packaging companies.

Learn more

Pipe, Profile & Tubing Extrusion in North America 2014

U.S. demand for extruded plastics is expected to grow by 3 percent in 2014, with PVC remaining the largest segment.

Plastic pipe will post the strongest gains through 2018, continuing to take market share from competing materials in a range of markets.

Our latest market report provides in-depth analysis of current trends and their financial impact on the pipe, profile and tubing extrusion industry in North America.

Learn more

2014 Injection Molding Industry Report

GROWTH, OPPORTUNITY IN SIGHT FOR INJECTION MOLDERS IN 2014

In the wake of the economic turbulence earlier in this decade, molders today find themselves in much better shape. Molders are gaining a competitive advantage by investing in people, equipment and seeking inroads into new markets on a global scale.

Growth in the injection molding industry is going to be driven by low financing costs and a continued move to reshore some business.

Learn more