CLEVELAND - ESI Extrusion Services Inc., a manufacturer of downstream extrusion equipment, has moved from Stow, Ohio, to nearby Akron in an expansion. ESI makes equipment such as vacuum calibration tanks, cutting and sizing equipment and pullers for plastic profile, tubing and small pipe measuring less than 6 inches in diameter. ESI also serves the rubber industry.
At Plastics Fair Cleveland, held June 13-15, ESI featured its servo-drive cutters.
President Peter Anderson said ESI moved into the leased Akron plant, with 25,000 square feet of space, in late 1994. The 14-year-old company had been housed in an 8,500-square-foot plant in Stow.
In the six months before moving, the company leased another 10,000 square feet at another location.
ESI makes about 40 different pieces of equipment. Anderson said the company is making more standard machines, and the mix of standard to custom machines is changing. Before, about 70 percent of ESI machines were custom made. Now about 60 percent are standard designs and the other 40 percent are custom, he said.
In the past two years, employment has grown from 10 to 26, Anderson said. He declined to provide sales figures.
ESI was founded in 1981 by the late Don Hays, who had worked at two Ohio plastic extruders, Crane Plastics Co. of Columbus, and Mercury Plastics Inc. of Middlefield.