Belgian vinyl extrusions firm Deceuninck Plastics Industries NV has entered the U.S. market by purchasing a controlling interest in Acro Extrusion Corp. and Slocomb Industries Inc., both of Wilmington, Del. Deceuninck Plastics paid an undisclosed amount for 75 percent of Acro and Slocomb in the Aug. 21 deal, leaving the Slocomb family with 25 percent of the two companies, which together employ a total of 190.
Deceuninck Plastics is a publicly held firm based in Hooglede-Gits, Belgium. The Deceuninck family holds 26.4 percent of the company.
Acro spokeswoman Barbara Wrage said Deceuninck Plastics looked for a U.S. partner for two years in efforts to enter the fast-growing U.S. market.
The company established a sales and distribution subsidiary in Canada in 1993, but has not been active in the United States.
Deceuninck Plastics plans to expand Acro and Slocomb's production and markets, Wrage said. Its technology, including colored vinyl profiles, laminations, foamed vinyl, painted vinyl and recycling, will broaden Acro's and Slocomb's product lines, she said in a telephone interview. In turn, Acro and Slocomb technology for high-glass-content vinyl and thin-wall products will be used by De-ceuninck Plastics in Europe and elsewhere.
Acro is a 20-extruder operation making profiles for windows and patio doors. It sells to Slocomb, which fabricates windows for new and replacement construction, and to other window and door fabri-cators. The firms did not release sales figures.
Deceuninck Plastics had sales of $170 million last year and predicted sales of more than $200 million in 1995, prior to the Acro and Slocomb takeover. It has five plants in Belgium, England, Germany and Poland and operates more than 120 extrusion lines.
Deceuninck Plastics was established in 1937 to mold plastic combs and small boxes. Its 880 employees now produce extruded vinyl window systems and profiles for doors, shutters, wall coverings, balconies and suspended ceilings.
In the past decade it expanded outside Belgium through acquisition and by establishing new subsidiaries. This year it built an extrusion plant in Poland and bought a minority stake in Thai Plastwood in Thailand as part of a long-term plan to go global. It exports about 75 percent of its production.
Leon Slocomb Jr. founded Slocomb Industries in 1954 and Acro in 1979. He is president of both firms.
Acro's 75,000-square-foot plant includes vinyl compound production. Slocomb Industries has 44,000 square feet of manufacturing and warehouse space. Acro and Slocomb Industries will retain their names and management teams.