With one small injection press, Lew Phillips and John Huffman establish Champion Molded Plastics, predecessor of today's Bryan Custom Plastics, in a garage in Toledo, Ohio. 1950: Toy maker Ohio Art Co. acquires 49 percent of Champion, now with eight presses, and moves it to Bryan, Ohio. Two years later, Phillips buys Huffman's stake in the business. Champion focuses on automotive, air conditioning and appliance markets.
Late 1950s: Phillips and Ohio Art sell their interest in the company to Tappan Co. of Mansfield, Ohio. A second plant is built in Bryan in 1961 and houses four presses in the 1,000-1,500 tonnage class.
1962: Standard Oil Co. of Ohio acquires Champion Plastics and changes its name to Vistron Corp., which was the name for Standard's petrochemical division. The molder expands into electrical and materials-handling markets.
1970: Operations are consolidated into a single plant in Bryan and Vistron focuses on larger parts. By mid-decade, a 2,500-ton press is acquired to mold parts for the Ford Mustang.
1976: Standard Oil sells Vistron to United Screw and Bolt Corp., a Cleveland-area metal stamper looking to diversify. United changes the molder's name to Bryan Custom Plastics.
1979: Bryan opens a new plant in Kenton, Tenn., to mold television cabinets and parts for domestic and foreign automakers with assembly operations in the southern United States.
1989: The company completes a $7 million expansion in Bryan, and a year later installs its first 5,000-ton press.
1995: Bryan acquires molder MBS Polymet Inc. of Wauseon, Ohio.
1996: Bryan purchases 10 percent of IB Autotrim, a headliner maker in Hopkinsville, Tenn., owned by Irausa Holland, a unit of Antolin Group of Spain. Bryan establishes a joint venture with Argentine molder Lodigiani y Leali SAIC to make parts for Ford Motor Co. in South America. A second 5,000-ton press is added in Bryan.