An electrical fire at Simpson Plastics Inc., a custom injection and blow molder in Richmond, Ill., caused an estimated $1.3 million in damage. The fire broke out about 4:45 a.m. Nov. 4 and was discovered by plant manager Mike Avery when he arrived for work.
It took 48 firefighters from five towns in Illinois and Wisconsin about four hours to control the blaze. The leased building was not occupied at the time and no injuries were reported.
Clifford Simpson, owner of Simpson Plastics, said the firm's office is a total loss and the production floor is a 50-60 percent loss. It had not been determined at press time whether any of the five blow molding machines and three injection presses could be salvaged.
Simpson said none of his customers' molds suffered significant damage. For customers with immediate needs, Simpson plans to subcontract work.
Simpson Plastics primarily serves the lawn and garden industry, the automotive aftermarket and toy industry.
``We're going to quickly re-build,'' he said in a telephone interview. ``We hope to either buy an existing building, or at least lease one, because we need one fairly quickly.''