SAN MARCOS, CALIF. — An electrical malfunction at custom molder Plasmetex Industries Inc. led to a fire that damaged three-fourths of a 27,000-square-foot industrial building, according to John Twy-man, the fire marshal in San Marcos. Plasmetex, owned by Adolph Soupe, was molding components for computer boards as soon as San Diego Gas & Electric restored electrical service, Twyman said. The utility's investigator identified improperly installed electrical wiring as the most probable cause.
Units from five departments fought the Oct. 12 blaze.
Damage was estimated at $400,000 to the single-story structure and $800,000 to the contents, which included molding equipment, raw materials and finished goods.
An office area valued at $300,000 and injection molding machines were not damaged.