JERICHO, VT.—T. Wayne Kondor, 45-year-old president of the Structural Insulated Panel Association, died Dec. 9 in his home of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a gas-powered generator.
He was president of Vermont Stresskin Panels Inc. in Cambridge, Vt., and a founding member of SIPA, the Washington trade association representing foam-core panel manufacturers. He also owned a timber frame builder, Kondor Post and Beam.
``We at SIPA will truly miss Wayne, his leadership and his friendship,'' said Russell Roeding, SIPA's executive director.
Kondor had used the generator to provide electricity during a power outage caused by a snowstorm, Roeding said.
His wife, Patricia, and daughters Katherine, 9, and Kristen, 12, also were in the home, but they survived. The family was sleeping as the carbon monoxide built up.
Kondor's foam-core panel and building businesses employed about 16.
``I worked here with Wayne for eight years. I have never worked for anybody that was more concerned for his employees. He was very generous,'' said Neal Herriot, general manager of Vermont Stresskin Panels.
His death stunned the close-knit structural panel industry.
Amos Winter, president of Winter Panel Corp. in Brattleboro, Vt., said Kondor was ``a very intelligent person, with a great sense of humor.
``He was fun, he was open. He and I communicated a lot,'' Winter said. ``We competed, but it was always friendly competition and we exchanged a lot of ideas.''