The MonoSol Division of Chris-Craft Industrial Products Inc. plans to add a full-scale solution casting machine to its polyvinyl alcohol film production plant in Gary, Ind.
MonoSol will invest about $1 million to design and build the line. The firm has been making quality improvements and upgrading equipment, P. Scott Bening, vice president and general manager, said by telephone.
``We will take the technology we have developed and put it into a new line,'' Bening added.
With the improvements, MonoSol is moving from continuous production to a five-day-per-week operation. But that doesn't mean business has slowed. Bening said the investment will improve manufacturing flexibility and shorten lead times.
The line is expected to begin operating by mid-March and a small number of employees will be added to the staff of 85.
MonoSol film is a water-soluble product used to package agricultural chemicals, detergents, disinfectants, dyestuffs, cosmetics and pharmaceutical products.
Other PVOH film applications include transfer printing for package and product decoration, water-soluble labels, embroidery topping and mold release.
MonoSol, which did $4 million in sales eight years ago, makes up roughly 65 percent of Chris-Craft Industrial Division's $24 million in sales. The other 35 percent comes from MonoSol's sister company, MD Industries, a health-care products distributor. The company makes its PVOH film by casting a water solution of the polymer onto moving, 60-inch steel belts. It currently has three lines.
Chris-Craft Industrial Products is part of New York-based Chris-Craft Industries Inc.