Two brothers take over Summit Plastics
RONKONKOMA, N.Y. — A 60-member staff is to stay intact and operations are to continue flowing as two brothers take over a thermoformer that supplies Coca-Cola Co.
Summit Plastics in Ronkonkoma recently was purchased by Chuck and Glenn Davis for an undisclosed amount.
"We want to market the company and re-energize it," said Glenn Davis.
The brothers plan to promote the company as a one-stop shop, he said. The 70,000-square-foot facility has 17 automatic vacuum forming machines, including open-end and rotary-style models; automatic assembly lines for decoration and fulfillment; and a full toolroom.
The new owners plan to modernize the forming machines.
The display manufacturer's markets include medical, household-care packaging, office products, consumer products and industrial. The company had 2000 sales of $6 million.
Conair closing Quebec Metaplast office
PITTSBURGH — Conair Group Inc. will centralize all its extrusion equipment operations in Pittsburgh by closing the engineering and sales office it had near Montreal.
Conair will shut the Metaplast office in Lachine, Quebec, effective Jan. 1. A staff of four will be affected by the move, said Conrad Bessemer, Conair vice president of operations. Conair has been leasing a building for the operation.
The move will come nearly a year after Conair shifted production of Metaplast equipment from Lachine to Franklin, Pa. Conair's Metaplast line of machinery includes downstream equipment such as pullers, saws, calibrators and cooling and sizing systems, mainly used in the production of window components, fencing and small-diameter pipe. Conair bought Metaplast in 1997 and moved production to the larger Franklin facility to cope with triple-digit growth for Metaplast product sales.
Bessemer said customers will benefit from Pittsburgh's 24-hour service availability and concentration of extrusion technical expertise in one location. Pittsburgh also has three extrusion lines set up for customers to test Metaplast equipment before delivery, a service that the Lachine facility lacked.
Georg Fischer gets go-ahead to buy Krupp
SCHAFFHAUSEN, SWITZERLAND — European antitrust authorities have approved Georg Fischer AG's purchase of extruder maker Krupp Werner & Pfleiderer GmbH, the companies announced Dec. 21.
The move makes way for the creation of the world's biggest manufacturer of compounding and mixing machines.
Georg Fischer, based in Schaffhausen, has created an umbrella organization called Coperion Holding GmbH to run the three machinery businesses: W&P, which builds twin-screw compounding extruders; Buss, which makes kneaders; and Waeschle, a supplier of materials-handling and conveying equipment.
The three businesses employ more than 2,000 at 35 locations around the world. Current annual sales are $337 million.
Georg Fischer and an investor group announced in October they would buy the W&P compounding extruder business from Thyssen Krupp AG. Fischer owns 50.1 percent of the new machinery group. The other 49.9 percent is owned by West Private Equity Ltd. of London and Westdeutsche Landesbank Girozentrale of Dusseldorf, Germany.
Werner & Pfleiderer is based in Stuttgart, Germany. It runs a North American headquarters plant in Ramsey, N.J.
Kiefel parent acquires Swiss film winder
WURMS, GERMANY — Kiefel Inc. is better positioned to supply complete barrier film production systems now that its parent company has bought a Swiss film winder manufacturer.
Kiefel Extrusionstechnik GmbH of Wurms bought Wintech Winding Technology AG of Lachen, Switzerland, for undisclosed terms. Wintech will run as an independent operation in Lachen with former owners Tony Ruegg and Carlos Martinez as co-managing directors.
Kiefel worked with Wintech and various other advanced winder suppliers in the past but had no formal relationship with them, said Steve Engel, president of Kiefel Inc. The acquisition will make it easier for Kiefel to offer barrier film systems of up to seven layers because these systems need advanced winders, such as the surface center gap equipment that Wintech designs and assembles, Engel said by telephone from Wrentham, Mass.
Kiefel has made its own surface winders and could continue to do so for awhile.
Wintech had annual sales of about 13 million deutsche marks ($5.95 million). Kiefel is part of Renolit Group, also based in Wurms, which has annual sales of about 700 million euros ($626.5 million). Renolit's core business has been supplying equipment to make calendered PVC film and sheet and coextruded alternatives to PVC.
Wintech has contracted out parts making but did design and assembly in Lachen. Kiefel probably will make Wintech's parts in its Wurms machine shop. The acquisition became effective Sept. 29.