SÃO PAULO, BRAZIL (March 23, 4:40 p.m. EST) — These briefs are from the eplasticos2001 conference, held March 12 in SÃ£o Paulo, Brazil.
* Eastman Chemical Co. of Kingsport, Tenn., plans to launch Portuguese, Spanish and Chinese versions of the online-transactions section of its Web site by the third quarter of this year. Besides translated content, the site will include specific data on Brazilian, South American and Asian markets.
* Lyon, France-based Rhodia SA is implementing an electronic-procurement system worldwide. The project started in Europe in December and will reach North America in May, Latin America in June and the Asia/Pacific region in September.
* Resin maker Ipiranga Petroquímica SA of Porto Alegre, Brazil, has completed the first phase of its e-business project: order tracking online. The company announced the move at the Brasilplast show, held March 5-9 in SÃ£o Paulo, Brazil.
* OPP Petroquímica SA of SÃ£o Paulo will begin to sell its complete line of polypropylene, PVC, and polyethylene resins in April via its Web site, www.opp.com.br.
* GE Plastics' distribution unit, GE Polymerland, launches its activities in Argentina on March 28, under the Web address of www.gepolymerland.com.ar. The portal will house GE Polymerland's sales activities in all the Spanish-language countries in South America. GE Plastics also plans to open a distribution center in Chile or Venezuela. The firm already has a compounding plant in Tortuguitas, Argentina.
* Latinplasticos.com is Conferos Inc.'s new agent in South America, responsible for trading and customizing ProductSync, Conferos' Internet-based collaborative software, in the region. SÃ£o Paulo-based Latinplasticos also will provide technical support, as well as Portuguese and Spanish versions of the application. Conferos is based in Waltham, Mass.