Polyolefins compounder Heritage Plastics Inc. of Picayune has completed its fourth expansion in five years by adding a 50 million-pound-per-year extrusion line this month.
The addition will raise Heritage's total annual capacity to 300 million pounds and allow the 100-employee firm to create more products for blow molding, President Scott Brann said.
``This will give us some extra capacity to work with,'' he said.
Heritage can achieve loadings of 80 percent using calcium carbonate, talc or other materials in polyethylene- and polypropylene-based compounds. PE makes up about 75 percent of that mix. About two-thirds of Heritage's compounds are sold into the film market, with the remainder going to blow and injection molding.
The firm originally was a unit of film producer Heritage Bag Co. of Carrollton, Texas, before going independent in 1986. The private firm does not release sales totals.
Brann said Heritage has room for further expansion at its 180,000-square-foot plant.
About 60 percent of Heritage's compounds are sold under its proprietary Minapol-brand trade name, with the other 40 percent custom compounded.