Sidel in N. America gains late-year sales
LE HAVRE, FRANCE - Groupe Sidel, a Le Havre-based maker of PET blow molding machines and other packaging equipment, said its North American business grew 9 percent in 2002, thanks to a pickup late in the year.
North America and Europe are Sidel's two largest markets. Sales in Europe were flat, at 379.9 million euros ($359 million). North American sales hit 322.1 million euros ($305 million), up from 295.6 million euros in 2001. Only the Asia-Pacific region grew faster than North America, soaring at a 31.6 percent rate.
In smaller Sidel markets, the Middle East/Africa grew by 3.4 percent, while South American business plunged 29 percent.
Sidel issued the year-end sales Jan. 31, but did not release profit. Spokesman Bertrand Guillet said the company will issue annual profit numbers in late March. But Guillet said Sidel did return to profitability in 2002, after losing 47.5 million euros ($42.5 million) in 2001.
Companywide, Sidel reported 2002 sales of 981.1 million euros ($928 million). Eighty percent of that total comes from core packaging machinery businesses, including blow molding machines and filling and packaging systems.
The blow molding machines segment, which includes sales from the Actis bottle-coating technology, reported global sales of 523.2 million euros ($495 million), an increase of 14.2 percent from 2001.
The French machinery maker was involved in a history-making reversal of the European Commission, which finally approved the sale of Sidel to Tetra Laval International SA of Pully, Switzerland.
The EC initially blocked the merger, but Europe's second-highest court upheld Tetra Laval's appeal last fall. It formally approved the deal Jan. 13.
Negri Bossi presses offering Twinshot
MISSISSAUGA, ONTARIO - Injection molding machinery supplier Negri Bossi Inc. has agreed to make Twinshot coinjection technology available on all new presses.
Twinshot technology, from Spirex Corp., will be offered on Negri Bossi's all-electric, hybrid-electric, hydraulic-toggle and multi-injection presses. Negri Bossi claims the system allows a conventional injection molding machine with a single barrel and screw to inject two materials in one operation, with one material enclosing the other.
Plasticizing in a Twinshot system occurs in one screw with a two-stage design. Materials are starve-fed in one or both screw stages. The technology can encapsulate low-cost resins and reinforced materials or encapsulate foamed material and produce soft-touch parts.
Negri Bossi Inc. of Mississauga is a subsidiary of Negri Bossi SpA of Milan, Italy. Spirex is in Youngstown, Ohio.
DSM composites expanding in China
SCHAFFHAUSEN, SWITZERLAND - DSM Composite Resins is strengthening its position in Asia by raising its stake in a Chinese composites joint venture and expanding plant capacity there.
The company, part of DSM NV of Heerlen, the Netherlands, agreed to increase its 50 percent share in Jinling-DSM Resins Ltd. of Nanjing, China, to 75 percent. Its Chinese partner, Sinopec Jinling Petrochemical Corp. will retain the remaining 25 percent.
DSM Composite, based in Schaffhausen, also announced it plans to boost the Nanjing plant's capacity for composite resins to 110 million pounds annually.
``The capacity expansion and share transfer will boost DSM's position in Asia Pacific and will be a stepping stone for further growth in the Chinese and Asian markets,'' said DSM Composite President Jos Schneiders.
Expansion will let the Chinese venture supply resins and gel coats to key markets such as tanks and pipes, transportation, sheet molding compound and the marine and construction sectors.