A newly formed building products maker is poised to launch a cellular PVC decking system that figures to be the first of many low-maintenance products the company will bring to market.
Bloomfield, Conn.-based Sensibuilt Building Solutions LLC has the financial backing of Pegasus Capital Advisors LP of Cos Cob, Conn., and has five principals - all of whom are veterans of the building products industry. They are:
* Bill Collins, chief executive officer. Collins is former CEO of roofing materials manufacturer GAF Materials Corp. in Wayne, N.J.
* Jeff Nesbitt, executive vice president of technology. Nesbitt's expertise is the basis for Sensibuilt's coming line of products. He is credited with developing flax-reinforced cellular PVC technology used by Foley, Ala.-based Procell Decking Systems. Nesbitt's latest formulation will be used for the Sensibuilt deck boards.
* Bob Harris, market development manager. Harris is Sensibuilt's color expert. He is a former employee of Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio-based Americhem Inc.
* Bob King, product marketing manager. King has a background in wood products. He co-founded Bedford, N.H.-based Coastal Forest Products Inc.
* Bud Bootier, vice president of marketing. Bootier is an industry analyst and consultant to building products manufacturers. The president of Wexford, Pa.-based Pure Strategy, Bootier said he will be stepping back from his consulting duties to focus on Sensibuilt and potential related ventures down the road.
Sensibuilt is the result of two years of discussions and market research, Bootier said in an April 3 telephone interview.
``We've got pilot capacity that we're using to commercialize it,'' Bootier said.
The plan moving forward is to strike deals with other manufacturers to use their excess capacity to extrude the Sensibuilt profiles.
``It would take six months at least to get a plant up and running,'' he said, adding that it's likely that Sensibuilt will invest in its own manufacturing capacity. But for now, company officials like the idea of consuming some of the excess capacity out there and getting their product to market quickly.
Sensibuilt decking is the byproduct of Procell's creator trying to one-up himself. The product is cellulose-free, and Bootier, who has spent the past decade watching polymer-based decking emerge, said Sensibuilt sports next-level performance.
``We're going to advance building materials,'' he said. ``That's our mission: to depart from the norm. The decking product that we're coming out with will.''