Injection molder Hy-Ten Plastics Inc. of Milford, N.H., was recently honored for its leadership in energy efficiency. The company was one of 10 organizations honored with a Northeast Business Leader for Energy Efficiency award from the Northeast Energy Efficiency Partnerships. Hy-Ten Plastics was nominated by Public Service of New Hampshire, and was selected for making cost-effective energy efficiency investments; addressing comprehensive changes in major energy systems; improving energy performance through operational practices and management level support; and demonstrating leadership to advance energy. Since 2002, Hy-Ten Plastics has partnered with PSNH to identify and implement energy efficiency measures that have reduced operating costs, increased productivity, maintained competitive prices for customers and mitigated their impact on the environment. Among the improvements are:
- Replacement of hydraulic injection molding machines with high efficiency electric equipment;
- Installation of high efficiency lighting systems;
- Installation of premium efficiency motors with variable frequency drives;
- Deployment of an innovative resin drying system that uses compressed air rather than electric resistance heat; and
- Replacement of air compressor with a higher efficiency rotary screw machine and variable frequency drive.