Three rights and a Wright can't be wrong for Dow Chemical Co. at NPE2009.
Dow is right here, right now and right for our customers, said Glenn Wright, commercial vice president of Dow's North American basic plastics unit.
Ten equipment makers are running Dow materials on their machines at the show, including Husky Injection Molding Systems Ltd. (high density polyethylene at Booth S36009), Pavan Zanetti Indústria Metalúrgica Ltda. (HDPE at Booth S21093) and Jenn Chong Plastics Machinery Works Co. Ltd. (low density polyethylene at Booth S4020).
Dow ranks as one of the world's largest PE makers and also produces polypropylene, polystyrene and a range of specialty resins. Although Dow is not exhibiting at NPE, the firm is sponsoring the Society of Plastics Engineers' concurrent Antec 2009 conference and is a major sponsor of the sustainability sector in SPI's Emerging Technology Pavilion.
Dow also is commercializing a number of new products, including:
* Two grades of Continuum-brand HDPE for blow molded bottles, drums and other large blow molded parts.
* Two grades of Dowlex-brand linear low density PE.
* Two grades of Attane-brand ultra LDPE.
* A new grade of LDPE designed for increased throughput in blown film applications.
* New grades of Inspire-brand high-clarity PP for thermoforming uses.
* New developmental grades of impact copolymer PP for injection molding uses.
* Health+ branded specialty polymers for rigid packaging and health and hygiene uses.
It's often more beneficial for a customer to see the final application and watch our resins being processed vs. reading through a technical data sheet, Wright said in a June 22 news release.
In a recent interview, Wright said that Midland, Mich.-based Dow's basic plastics unit remains a strong global franchise within Dow. That was true two years ago, it's true now and will be true a year from now.
Regardless of the economic cycle, our approach is unwavering, Wright said. We're a high-performance business with a strong portfolio of joint ventures.
Copyright 2009 Crain Communications Inc. All Rights Reserved.