Plastics companies, it's time to see how you stack up and possibly come away with recognition as one of the industry's finest.
Plastics News is seeking nominations for its Processor of the Year Award, now in its 15th year. The award honors a North American plastics processor for its performance, corporate responsibility and overall excellence.
The competition is open to any public or private company, or operating divisions, that have been engaged in plastics processing in North America for at least five years.
Deadline for entries is Oct. 27.
You can nominate your own company, a customer or a supplier. Simply submit an entry form and a letter briefly explaining why the company deserves the award. The form is available online at plasticsnews.com/nominate, where you can find a list of frequently asked questions about the award. A quick nomination kicks it off, but we ask processors to compile more-detailed submissions based on seven criteria.
Plastics News also will have hard-copy versions of the nomination forms at its booth during several upcoming trade shows. Those forms may be submitted to: Processor of the Year, Plastics News, 1725 Merriman Road, Akron, Ohio 44313, or faxed to 330-836-2322. Again this year, senior reporter Bill Bregar is coordinating the award. He can be reached by phone at 330-865-6158 or e-mail at [email protected]
A team of judges from Plastics News' editorial staff, with help from Deloitte Corporate Finance LLC, will pick finalists, and the eventual winner, from among eligible nominees.
The seven criteria cover aspects of a well-rounded company: financial performance, quality, customer relations, employee relations, environmental performance, industry/public service and technological innovations.
The winner will join a prestigious group. Last year's winner was GW Plastics Inc. of Bethel, Vt. Past winners are:
* Plastic Components Inc. of Germantown, Wis.
* Innovative Injection Technologies Inc. of West Des Moines, Iowa.
* Mack Molding Co. of Arlington, Va.
* U.S. Farathane Corp. of Sterling Heights, Mich.
* Miniature Precision Components Inc. of Walworth, Wis.
* Jarden Plastic Solutions of Greer, S.C., formerly Unimark Plastics
* Precise Technology Inc. of North Versailles, Pa., now part of Rexam plc.
* Tech Group Inc. of Scottsdale, Ariz., now part of West Pharmaceutical Services Inc.
* Cascade Engineering Inc. of Grand Rapids, Mich.
* Tessy Plastics Corp. of Elbridge, N.Y.
* Royal Group Inc. of Woodbridge, Ontario, now part of Georgia Gulf Corp.
* Courtesy Corp. of Buffalo Grove, Ill., now also part of Rexam.
* Nypro Inc. of Clinton, Mass.
* Bryan Custom Plastics of Bryan, Ohio, now Johnson Controls Interiors Manufacturing, owned by Johnson Controls Inc. and an investor group.
The winner will be announced at the next Plastics News Executive Forum, set for March 6-9 in Summerlin, Nev.
Deloitte will co-sponsor the award and reception at the forum.
Copyright 2010 Crain Communications Inc. All Rights Reserved.