* Debalers to break down bales or briquettes of bottles and other post-consumer plastics into single items for sorting. Other pre-wash equipment detects and removes metal and other foreign objects.
* Wet granulators, which have water in their current chambers so they simultaneously wash and size-reduce material. Herbold's high-speed shredders also can be used with water and added to a wash line when more-intensive washing and shredding is necessary.
* Friction washers give more washing power, as they typically receive a slurry of plastic fragments and water from a wet grinder/granulator. They also sometimes are installed after separation tanks.
* Separation tanks separate floating materials from those that sink.
* Mechanical dryers centrifugally dry plastic fragments, but they also can be used as intensive washers, by using a high-speed agitator and a high volume of water. For additional drying, the company offers thermal dryers, and for hard-to-dry materials such as stretch film and foam, Hoffer offers the HV Plastcompactor, which simultaneously heats, dries and compacts.
Tel. 401-232-3354, fax 401-232-5425.