Congratulations to plastics processors Mack Molding, Steinwall Inc., Berry Plastics Corp., Mold-Rite Plastics, Brentwood Industries and ONO Packaging SAS for being among the 100 companies named as this year's winners of the Managing Automation Communications Progressive Manufacturing 100 Awards. A wide variety of OEMs and suppliers were also honored, including Dow Chemical Co. Here's a brief rundown on the plastics processors that were selected:
- Mack Molding was selected for its "Big, Bulky, Complex" strategy, the business model it started to pursue 10 years ago when the company's traditional computer and business equipment customers began to look offshore for lower-cost parts.
- Brentwood Industries was honored for its Business Technology Initiative, implementing new business software that would allow users to access data directly and more quickly to enable them to make decisions more efficiently.
- Steinwall was picked for a project we've covered recently, its PowerPoint-based Part Instruction Multimedia training.
- ONO Packaging, a supplier of modified-atmosphere trays, was picked for its efforts to improve its supply chain.
- Cap and closure molder Mold-Rite Plastics was honored for its effort to automate its manufacturing operations, in a project the company calls its Production Management Data Collection System.
- Berry Plastics was selected for its vendor-managed inventory program.