MUSSOLENTE, ITALY (Dec. 23, 10:45 a.m. ET) — Thermoplastic polyurethane supplier API SpA is expanding, with investments in production machinery and R&D infrastructure. The Mussolente-based operation said it has made the following investments:
• A new line for thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) bringing the total number of lines to five and increasing capacity by 25 percent,
• Two new lines for making thermoplastic elastomers (TPE) and APINAT Bioplastics, increasing capacity by 15 percent,
• An integrated system for automated packaging and palleting,
• A new technologically advanced system of industrial scale-up,
• A new line dedicated to producing micro-granulated TPE and TPU,
• An overhaul of the sample and masterbatch departments to create lean processes and optimize efficiency.
API, run by the Brunetti family, said its new research and development lab and adding office space for technical staff are nearing completion, with R&D space increased by about 80 percent.
The Italian company, originally set up in 1956 a polyurethane systems house, says it is one of only a few small privately owned European producers able to develop TPU materials.