Coalition fights San Francisco bag ban
SAN FRANCISCO — As promised, the Save the Plastic Bag Coalition has filed a lawsuit against the city of San Francisco to invalidate its plastic bag ban.
The lawsuit contends that the city passed the ordinance despite its refusal to prepare an Environmental Impact Report, which is required by the California Supreme Court before a ban can be enacted if a city has more residents than the city of Manhattan Beach.
San Francisco has a population of over 805,000, approximately 24 times larger than Manhattan Beach's population of 33,000.
Further, the ordinance bans plastic bags at restaurants, which the coalition's counsel Stephen Joseph says violates a state statute. He said the California Retail Food Code pre-empts and prohibits city and county bans of plastic bags at restaurants.
Based on these two causes of action, the coalition seeks to invalidate the bag ban and have it repealed in its entirety.
San Francisco was the first city in the country to ban plastic bags at grocery stores and drug stores back in 2007. In February, city officials expanded the bag ban to restaurants, gift shops, hardware stores, boutiques and other retailers.
That legislation forces shoppers to pay 10 cents per paper bag, a profit that goes to the store. It is intended to go into effect for retail stores in October and food establishments in July 2013.
NextLife's blends target fast-food sector
BOCA RATON, FLA. — NextLife Enterprises LLC is partnering with supply chain management firm Havi Global Solutions to bring its post-consumer resins to the dinner table.
The partnership is aimed at bringing the materials — which include polypropylene, polystyrene, and polyethylene blends — to the quick-service restaurant and food-service markets.
The recycled resins can be used to make “basically anything” — from coffee cup lids to children's toys — and give companies a way to decrease their environmental impact in a tough economy, said NextLife CEO Ron Whaley in a phone interview.
Havi, based in Downers Grove, Ill., will work with key clients and educate them on the production and safety aspects of using post-consumer resins, according to a Feb. 27 news release.
The company works with several high-traffic restaurant chains, including McDonald's, Donatos Pizzeria LLC and Panda Express.
On average, NextLife's resins have a carbon footprint that is 70 percent smaller than virgin resins, Whaley said.
NextLife, based in Boca Raton, manufactures the resins at its Frankfort, Ky., plant.
TriMas buys packaging maker Arminak
BLOOMFIELD HILLS, MICH. — TriMas Corp. recently acquired packaging manufacturer Arminak and Associates LLC for $64 million. Arminak makes foamers, pumps, sprayers and other packaging for cosmetics, personal-care and household products.
In a deal that closed Feb. 24, TriMas purchased 70 percent of Arminak. The agreement gives TriMas the option to purchase the remaining 30 percent, according to a Feb. 27 news release.
Arminak, which is based in Azuka, Calif., is now part of TriMas' Reike Packaging Systems business. Arminak generated approximately $60 million in sales for the fiscal year ended Dec. 31, according to the release.
Rieke, based in Auburn, Ind., manufactures steel and plastic industrial and specialty closures. In August, it acquired Innovative Molding Inc. for $27 million.
TriMas, based in Bloomfield Hills, has six business segments: packaging, energy, aerospace and defense, engineered components, Cequent Asia Pacific and Cequent North America. They employ about 4,100 at more than 60 facilities in 15 countries.
TriMas reported net sales of $1.08 billion in 2011, an increase of 20.1 percent compared to 2010.
Silgan closing Breinigsville, Pa., plant
CHESTERFIELD, MO. — Silgan Plastics is shuttering a facility in Breinigsville, Pa., according to a document filed with the Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry.
The company said that the planned closure will affect 30 employees and will be completed on or before April 30. In the letter to the state, the company pointed to the cause as a restructuring of its manufacturing operations.
The company did not return calls seeking comment.
Silgan Plastics, which is based in Chesterfield, is a subsidiary of Silgan Holdings Inc. of Stamford, Conn.
According to its latest 8K filing, Silgan's “plastic container business continued to experience higher costs associated with resolving operational issues from recent restructuring activities, along with volatility in the resin market and a less favorable mix of sales.”
Silgan Plastics has 20 plants according to the filing.