Aircraft parts maker Moog Inc. has acquired a 70 percent ownership of mold builder Linear Mold & Engineering Inc., with an option to acquire the remaining 30 percent.
Located in the Detroit suburb of Livonia, Mich., Linear specializes in metal additive manufacturing in addition to tooling for injection molding and compression molding. The company has been aggressively expanding the additive manufacturing segment, providing prototyping and production services for aerospace, medical, defense and oil and gas end markets.
“We are excited to welcome Linear to Moog,” said Sean Gartland, Moog's vice president of strategic growth initiatives. “We see significant potential for metal additive solutions in our core markets — aerospace, defense and industrial applications — in addition to the markets and customers that Linear is already serving.”
Linear reported sales of approximately $21 million for the 12 months ended September 2015. The company employs 120.