Netherlands chemical giant Royal DSM and Chinese specialty chemicals producer Zhejiang NHU Special Materials Co. Ltd., have officially inaugurated their joint venture for polyphenylene sulfide (PPS) compounds.
DSM NHU Engineering Plastics (Zhejiang) Co. Ltd.'s offerings are already being used in three applications, including a high-temperature engine-block heater, the company announced.
The compounding JV uses PPS polymer from NHU's plant in nearby Shangyu. DSM handles the compounding and markets the joint venture's high-temperature engineering plastics globally under the Xytron brand name.
DSM has a 60 percent share in the JV, with NHU holding the remaining 40 percent.
DSM NHU's first two offerings are Xytron G4010T, containing 40 percent glass fiber reinforcement, and Xytron M6510A, containing 65 percent glass fiber and mineral filler. Grades under development will offer enhanced wear resistance, low friction and increased impact strength.
“Xytron PPS compounds will further enhance DSM's offering in the high temperature performance engineering plastics space,” said Roeland Polet, president of DSM Engineering Plastics.
Plans for the joint venture were first announced last year. At this year's Chinaplas in April, DSM Engineering Plastics Asia Pacific President Ivo Lansbergen announced that all regulatory hurdles had been cleared and the plant had begun operations.