Boshaw points to Pac's work with all three major courier companies as well as the growth of online retailers for Pac's growth.
“We've got fantastic momentum,” he said, crediting his employees for making his goal a reality.
Pac's been around since 1975 when Jim's parents, Phil and Cathy, founded Pac National Inc., a broker of corrugated shipping containers. That pretty simple beginning then gets more complicated. A sale was followed by a takeover by a corporate raider and ended with Phil and Cathy coming back to take over their company again in 1997.
Jim, who graduated from the University of Washington, had no intention of joining the family business. “But it's really exciting to be part of a business you grew up with. The whole legacy piece. My Mom and Dad are great business people,” said Boshaw, who joined Pac in Redmond in 1999 after working in the corrugated box business in Phoenix.
Pac remains privately held with a unique twist. The company is owned 94 percent by the Boshaw family although Jim is the only active family member. The other 6 percent is owned by employee shareholders. All told, 16 employees make up that 6 percent ownership group.
“It's a fantastic group. We don't ever use it lure people to the business. You have to have three years of tenure in the business. And there's no specific rules. Not every vice president is an owner, but some managers are. It's a program we are proud of and we try to put more shares into the program each year,” he said.
Pac manufactures in two U.S. facilities, including one near Cincinnati (354,000 square feet) and another near Phoenix (168,000 square feet). Internationally, the company has a footprint in Querétaro, Mexico, that serves Latin America with its plant covering 120,000 square feet. The company also operates an 80,000-square-foot facility in Malaysia to better serve clients on that side of the world. All told, Pac operates 45 to 50 machines converting polyethylene into packaging.
Boshaw has created a program called STEP (Striving Toward Excellent Performance) to help reduce attrition and offer growth and development to employees. Two small groups have gone through STEP so far, which is led by a professor from Xavier University. “The team comes together to learn some skills and work on solving real world problems at Pac,” he said.