As of 2020, the North American International Auto Show will no longer take place in January, opting for a time of year when the weather is more likely to be warm.
The Detroit Auto Dealers Association will announce plans for the Cobo Center event's future, including new dates, on July 24, auto show spokesman Max Muncey confirmed to Crain's Detroit Business June 28.
Auto show leadership released a 24-second teaser for a longer, two-minute video trailer that will be part of the July announcement.
The teaser says "Welcome to Detroit ... completely reimagined" and includes animations of walkable areas and tracks outdoors — and on Cobo Center's roof. From the trailer, it appears the event would still be taking place on Cobo Center's campus in the city's downtown.NAIAS and Cobo signed an $11.8 million contract last July to keep the auto show at the Detroit riverfront event space through 2025.
A Cobo Center representative declined to comment.
The Detroit News first reported the coming change.
The 2019 auto show will still take place in January and will run Jan. 14-27.
Crain's reported in March that organizers had been considering moving NAIAS to October in 2020. The idea was propelled by a need for automakers and suppliers to showcase new technologies, such as autonomous cars, crash-avoidance systems and ride-sharing applications, that are better experienced outside Cobo's walls, a source told Crain's at the time.
Muncey has said a move to October could help lower cost and complexity for automakers. In that scenario, the show would take place about a month after the Paris show and about a month before the Los Angeles one.
Southfield, Mich.-based Denso International America Inc., a supplier of radiator tanks, electronics and other functional parts, has been on the show floor for 14 years. The company has said it favored moving the Cobo Center show to October because it would "provide a lot of new and exciting opportunities."
Moving the show could also put space between NAIAS and the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, which typically occurs in January the week before the Detroit auto show. Many automakers and suppliers are forced to choose one or the other to showcase technologies.
General Motors Co. has supported a move to June that would possibly correspond with the Detroit Grand Prix. GM North America President Alan Batey this month said such a move would allow for a new automotive spectacle to attract people to the city.
"I just think it could be so much more if the timing was right," Batey told Automotive News. "We could showcase what a great city we've got and what's going on."
NAIAS' announcement of a revamp comes amid trying times: Three luxury auto brands, Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz, have said they would skip the 2019 Detroit show. It's part of a trend for auto shows globally, as automakers grow less enamored with the events, where they must compete side by side for media attention for their important products.
In recent years, Mazda, Mini, Volvo, Porsche, Mitsubishi, Jaguar and Land Rover have also pulled out of the Detroit auto show, citing costs or the decision to reallocate marketing money.
— Automotive News contributed to this report.