This week we published, in print, our ranking of the top 100 pipe, profile and tubing extruders. Online we have the full 204 firms with North American extrusion sales of $20.5 billion, up 8.9 percent over last year. The North American extrusion sales breakout was: 50 percent pipe, 44 percent profile and 6 percent tubing.
The biggest news was the combination of Ply Gem Industries Inc. and Atrium Windows & Doors, but that wasn't the only consolidation to hit the top 100. Sanderson Pipe Corp.'s now includes Vinylplex Inc.
In addition, Azek Co. LLC now includes Versatex Building Products LLC.
This year we tried something new with the chart itself, for additional information on some of the major players we color coded firms whose primary products are: windows & doors; plastic lumber; and medical tubing.
Overall sales results were impressive for fiscal year 2017. The average sales per firm is up 12 percent and for the firms that sent in surveys, only a small handful reported a decline in sales and this was a top year for the total number of responses.
Let's take a look at some industry numbers, which help explain why 93 percent of our ranked firms show sales increases:
• Pricing for the major resins was up, so pass through played a role in increased sales.
• The market for windows was up 5.6 percent, doors were up 6.1 percent.
• The demand for skylights up 3.6 percent.
• Housing starts were up 2.5 percent.
• The remodeling index up 6 percent.
• Vinyl siding sales up 7 percent.