Several plastic products have been named as finalists for the 2021 R&D 100 Awards conducted by R&D World magazine.
The competition is in its 59th year. This year's event received entries from 17 different countries/regions, officials said in a news release. The 2021 judging panel included almost 50 industry professionals around the world.
"We weren't sure what to expect with the impact that COVID-19 has had on research labs across the world," Editorial Director Paul Heney said in the release. "But this year exceeded all our expectations, with more submissions coming in than in the previous few years ... [and] the quality of the entries was extremely high."
In the Mechanical/Materials category, plastics-related finalists include:
• Agility-brand 1500 Performance low density polyethylene resin from Dow Inc.
• Amsil-brand and Amsil Silbione-brand materials from Elkem Silicones
• Delrin-brand RA511CPE acetal resin from DuPont Co.
• Elcres-brand HTV150 dielectric film from Saudi Basic Industries Co. (Sabic) and Shin-Etsu Polymer Co.
• Infinair-brand polyolefin elastomers from Dow and GiGwi HK Trading Co., Ltd.
DuPont also was nominated for an adhesive product. "My sincere appreciation to all of our market, product, application, regulatory, manufacturing, technical service and sales innovators that have brought these great new products to market," DuPont Global R&D Vice President Scott Collick said in a LinkedIn post.
"It takes a village to launch new products," he added.
The 2021 R&D 100 winners will be announced by mid-November.