Sometimes more is a lot more. This year, Plastics News has 570 North American injection molders in its annual ranking. The June 22 issue of PN listed the largest of those molders. This week brings another 467 companies.
In total, the report covers companies generating $37.2 billion in sales. This is by far our biggest ranking of the year.
Our response rate for this report was better than expected, considering that many firms had people working at home because of COVID-19. While essential businesses were running production lines, some of the folks we'd normally talk to were not in their offices, although most had people still responding to emails as we reached out for the annual list.
However, a few firms were left off this list this year because we simply couldn't make contact by phone, mail, email or websites. If your company is not on the list and you want to be, just send me a quick note.
The 2019 fiscal results of our survey show the majority of firms held flat over 2018, 12 percent had declines. The interesting figure comes for those reporting increases in sales of 20 percent on average, that's a good number.
With that in mind, let's take a look at the top spots. The * denotes figures that are a Plastics News estimate. From the top:
• Lakeside Plastics Ltd. in Oldcastle, Ontario, $68 million.*
• Prism Plastics Inc. in Chesterfield, Mich., $68 million.*
• PSI Molded Plastics in Wolfeboro, N.H., $68 million.*
• Wise Plastics Technologies Inc. of St. Charles, Ill., $65.1 million.
• Clarion Technologies Inc. in Holland, Mich., $65 million.*
• ITW Medical Products in Hebron, Ill., $65 million.*
• Plastech Corp. in Rush City, Minn., $65 million.*
• Spectrum Plastics Group in Alpharetta, Ga., $65 million.*
• Thomson Plastics Inc. in Thomson, Ga., $65 million.*
• Wilbert Plastic Services Inc. in Belmont, N.C., $65 million.*
Here are the biggest movers for the year:
• Syntech Development & Mfg. Inc. of Chino, Calif., moved up 155 spaces to land at No. 155.
• Microplastics Inc. of St. Charles, Ill., moved up 118 spaces to rank at No. 118.
• Intermolding Technology LLC of Des Plaines, Ill., moved up 105 spaces to No.105.
• Metro Mold & Design Inc. of Brooklyn Park, Minn., moved up 74 spaces to end up at No. 74.
• Sterling Manufacturing Co. Inc. of Lancaster, Mass., moved up 65 spaces to rank at number 65.
• Buick LLC dba The Beadery of Hope Valley, R.I., moved up 54 spaces to No. 54.