A Tennessee electronics recycling plant is closed after a massive fire at the site Aug. 28.
No one was injured in the blaze at Scott Recycling LLC in Newport, Tenn., according to an article on the website of the Newport Plain Talk newspaper. The article said the 128,000-square-foot building was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived around 9 p.m.
On the company's website, officials said that they "are forced to temporarily cease operations until further notice."
"The fire has resulted in significant damage to our corporate offices and processing facility, making it impossible to continue operations there," they added. "We are actively working to find a suitable alternative location…and anticipate that our operations will be suspended for approximately a month."
Firefighters from several local communities worked to contain the blaze. Newport City Administrator James Finchum said in the article that there were concerns because a major electrical line for the area is located behind the building and because a local utility district stores propane tanks nearby.
He added that there was "no chance" of saving the 63-year-old building, and that firefighters were focused on preventing the fire from spreading to other buildings in the area.
The article also said that the building previously had been used to produce gaskets for almost 50 years.
Scott Recycling employs 45 at the site. No cause of the fire has been identified.
According to the Scott Recycling website, the firm recycles electronics, including hard drives, computers and peripherals, monitors, televisions, cables and house electronics. The firm also provide data destruction and related services.
Scott Recycling also operates plants in Lebanon, Tenn.; Heber Springs, Ark.; and Pulaski, Va., according to the website.
The article added that firefighters remained on the scene on Aug. 29 and that the fire could continue to smolder for a few days because of the plastics involved.